GRADES 1 - 6
The primary and elementary school program at High Point is designed to give the students a well-balanced academic schedule for core subjects and support classes. The instructional goals of these formative years are to prepare the students for the challenges of junior high and high school and to make learning an enjoyable experience.
THE ACADEMIC PROGRAM
First and Second Grade
- Printing and Handwriting
- Social Studies
- Movement and Physical Education
Third through Sixth Grade
- Spelling and Vocabulary
- French in grade 3
- French or Spanish in grades 4, 5, and 6
- History and Geography
- Physical Education
High Point endeavors to maintain a strong continuity of curriculum from grade level to grade level.
Each class takes two field trips per academic year. These trips are designed to supplement and support the academic program of each grade level. In addition the fourth grade takes a one day trip, by plane, to the state capitol in Sacramento to complete their studies of the history and government of California. Students in grades 4 8 have the opportunity to participate in the High Point Band which meets after school.
All fifth and sixth grade students may try out for the High Point track and field team, golf team, and tennis team, as well as the intramural teams.
A variety of music, art, and drama productions are offered to the various class levels throughout the school year. In recent years some of these have included:
- Kindergarten, first, and second grade musicals.
- Third grade Native American play.
- Night on the Nile Sixth grade skits on Ancient Egypt.
- Greek Olympics Sixth grade sports, drama, art, and academic competition based on Ancient Greece.
- All-school Holiday Program
- All-school Spring Musical
BACK TO TOP