Assistant to Head of School
Full- or Part-time
Reports to: Head of School
High Point Academy is a 350-student kindergarten-8th grade independent school nestled in the foothills of Pasadena, CA. Our mission is dedicated to awakening the joy of learning in each student to reach his/her fullest potential in a close-knit, nurturing, collaborative and stimulating community.
High Point Academy is looking for an outstanding, multi-skilled, executive assistant to join our team! This is a full- or part-time position, reporting to the Head of School, beginning immediately.
Position Overview: Under the direct supervision of the Head of School, the position provides executive-level support to the Head of School with an emphasis on writing, communications, organization, and management skills. The position assembles and maintains highly confidential and sensitive information. The position also deals with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors as well as internal contacts at all levels within the organization. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload. Flexibility is paramount. Candidates must be willing to work in a dynamic and physically open environment.
Executive Support to the Head of School and the Office in General:
- Directs and maintains all office operations for the Head of School, and communicates regularly with the Head on progress.
- Types, designs, proofreads, and edits (if needed) general correspondence, internal/external studies and planning documents, memos, charts, tables, graphs, surveys, speeches, articles (internal and external), blogs, PowerPoint presentations, student letters of recommendation, publications, guides, plans, reports, etc. as needed.
- Project management: Works independently and within a team on special non-recurring and ongoing projects. Helps direct the activities and projects emanating from the Head of School’s Office. Acts as project manager for special projects at the request of the Head of School.
- Performs desktop publishing including presentation design, guides, and publications.
- Acts as liaison between Head of School and faculty/staff/IT, as required.
- Acts as liaison between Head of School and the Board of Trustees, organizing events, materials, and administering projects as directed.
- Maintains the Head of School’s calendar, including scheduling individual appointments as requested.
- Maintains the Head of School’s filing systems, and creates new systems as needed.
- Drafts written responses to incoming correspondence or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary, and responds to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Sets up phone and online conferences, as needed.
- Attends and records meetings and phone conferences, as needed.
- Manages purchasing for Head of School as requested.
- Makes travel arrangements on behalf of the Head of School, as needed.
- Fills in for front-office personnel, as needed: phones, reception, student needs, etc.
- Handles all expense reimbursement and other documentation for Head of School.
- Supervises hospitality arrangements (food, beverage, etc.) for meetings and as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Skills:
- Excellent written, verbal, editing, and communication skills.
- Strong technical capability: Microsoft Office/Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Publisher; desktop publishing, blogging, photo editing applications a plus.
- Highly organized, thorough, and collaborative. A team player.
- Editing, journalism, and/or marketing background a plus.
- Ability to work with children, as needed, and tend to their needs.
- Willingness to actively participate in the School community, attending student and employee events as needed.
- Willingness to pursue professional development opportunities to enhance performance and meet evolving needs of the School.
- Independent school experience preferred but not required.
- Background check will be required.
Please address your cover letter to the attention of Gary Stern, Head of School, and send it with your resume to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org .